Looks like Pasta, Tastes like Ice Cream
This Post May Contain Affiliate Links
Summertime has officially arrived, and so have hot, sunny days that are demanding a cooling counterpart, ICE CREAM! I miss the days of visiting ice cream shops in Germany, at which you sit down to order sweet desserts and coffee. Oftentimes these visits would be the perfect escape from the heat after a shopping marathon in the city with my mom and sister. There are popular “camouflage” ice cream dishes in Germany, pretending to be something else, like pizza (my mom’s favorite) or spaghetti (my favorite). They’re fun and so delicious!
Spaghetti Eis, or spaghetti ice cream, looks like pasta from a distance.. Of course it’s not quite pasta at all, but instead it’s a skillful assembly of vanilla ice cream pressed through a spätzle press, whipped cream, strawberry sauce and white chocolate. I love the whipped cream underneath, which tends to freeze just slightly where it comes in contact with the ice cream – so, so divine!
This ice cream dish has always had a special place in my heart! Please try this out on a hot summer night, imagine yourself among Roman ruins in Trier’s city center, and have it bring you one inch closer to Germany. Guten Appetit! Also, if you love German cooking and baking as much as I do and want a chance to win cool kitchen gear (more WÜSTHOF knives to come soon!), PLEASE SUBSCRIBE at the bottom of this post! ???? Danke! ❤️
Strawberry Sauce (purée until smooth):
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1/4 c powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Whipped Cream (whisk with electric mixer until stiff):
- 8 oz heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- vanilla bean gelato (I prefer Talenti gelato!)
- white chocolate, finely grated
- mint to garnish
- Chill your spätzle press and ice cream plates/bowls for at least 15 minutes in the freezer.
- Place 2 Tbsp of prepared whipped cream on the bottom of the plate.
- Fill your spätzle press with ice cream (I also like using coconut gelato), then press on top of whipped cream.
- Pour some of the strawberry sauce over the ice cream. Then garnish with grated white chocolate (can also substitute coconut flakes), and mint leaves.
- Lasst es euch schmecken! (In short: Enjoy!)