Ute's Pesto Pasta Salad Recipe
Summertime in Germany: Schwenkgrills filled with bratwurst, marinated meats and veggies. And as if that wasn't wonderful enough, here come the sides: fresh bread and salads galore including this mediterranean-inspired pesto pasta salad that is like the one my Mama Ute makes.
Servings: 8 servings (as side)
- 500 g pasta I used Nuraxi's ancient grain Sardinian pasta
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 or 3 zucchini or yellow squash I used 2 zucchini and 1 yellow squash
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp roasted pine nuts I dry roast mine in a skillet for a few minutes
- 2 large tomatoes medium diced
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 to 2 Tbsp Calabrian Chili Paste optional
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil I used Nuraxi's highest quality Sardinian olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup roasted pine nuts I dry roast mine in a skillet for a few minutes
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 handful basil leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta to al dente (follow instructions on package). Drain and set aside.
In a large skillet, heat the oil on medium high, then add the zucchini and cook for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute or until fragrant and starting to brown. Add calabrian chili paste if desired. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
For the pesto, combine all pesto ingredients in a food processor (I actually use a cup and an immersion blender), and blend until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
Combine pasta, pesto, sautéed veggies, pine nuts and diced fresh tomatoes in a large serving bowl, then top with grated parm and some fresh basil leaves. Guten Appetit!
Calories: 217kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 478mg | Potassium: 638mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 848IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 144mg | Iron: 2mg