Best Ever French Fry Seasoning (Pommesgewürz)
Next time you make a batch of hot fries (whether cooked in the oven, air fryer, or deep fryer), toss them in this homemade German-style French Fry seasoning or Pommesgewürz! It transports me straight back to the public pool in Mertesdorf, Germany, where I used to order a big cone full of these with lots of mayo (or ketchup if you'd like)!
Servings: 1 spice jar
ceramic fry bowls
- 4 Tablespoons fine sea salt Use an ancient sea salt or pink sea salt, which has more trace minerals.
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder Use the fine powder, not granules.
- 2 teaspoons paprika powder I use sweet or non-sharp paprika powder. Like a little smokiness? Use smoked paprika powder instead.
- 2 teaspoons garam masala This spice blend is SO good! It's more traditionally used in Indian cooking and typically contains cumin, coriander, cardamom, black pepper, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
- ½ teaspoon curry powder Germans love curry powder (in their ketchup especially). One of my favorite recipes using it is my recipe for Flieten (fried chicken wings from Trier, Germany) and Gebackene Hähnchenkeulen (German baked drumsticks).
- ½ teaspoon cayenne powder This amount doesn't really make the mix spicy, it just gives it more sophistication.
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper Time to start grinding your own! We have this whole black pepper on subscribe and save on Amazon.
Yes, it’s a no-brainer. Simply combine all ingredients in a glass jar or airtight container and store away from light or any heat sources. This way it will stay fresh for 1 to 3 years.
4 Tablespoons fine sea salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 2 teaspoons paprika powder, 2 teaspoons garam masala, ½ teaspoon curry powder, ½ teaspoon cayenne powder, ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Making more than one blend? Mix together in a bowl, then use a funnel to fill your jars.
Gift It: Get some eco-friendly glass jars and make your own labels like I did (totally optional, I am just that crazy German!), and gift these to all your French fry-loving friends and family. It’s such an unexpected, wonderful gift!
Calories: 48kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 27911mg | Potassium: 182mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 2402IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 2mg