With Easter right around the corner, Spring weather arriving in Kansas City and Spring produce filling my shopping cart at the grocery store, I thought why not give you some inspiration of what to contribute to a fun Easter brunch with family or friends.
Rhubarb coffee cake has always been one of mom's favorite type of afternoon tea snack. 'Tis the season, so I thought why not take some fresh rhubarb, add an American twist, and turn it into a muffin recipe. This muffin balances sweetness and tartness very nicely and would be a gorgeous addition to your Easter breakfast or brunch. They not only taste great, but also add a nice pop of color to your Easter food lineup. And they're easy and quick enough to make that they easily qualify as an everyday breakfast item.
I bought this rhubarb at Whole Foods and the leaves were already removed. In case you buy it with leaves still on, make sure you discard those because apparently they're poisonous! So next time you're at the grocery store, snatch up some rhubarb stalks and try this out!
And if you love German food like I do and plenty of chances to win awesome kitchen gear, PLEASE SUBSCRIBE at the bottom of this post! ???? Danke! ❤️
Ingredients for about 18 muffins:
- 9 ounces fresh rhubarb, trimmed
- 6 oz (or 12 Tbsp) room-temperature, unsalted butter
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅔ c sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 c flour
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 oz milk
- ¾ c powdered sugar
- juice of ½ lemon
- Preheat oven to 390 F and line muffin tin with inserts.
- Cut rhubarb into ¼ inch slices.
- Mix together butter, salt, vanilla and sugar until creamy.
- Add eggs in one at a time.
- Sift together flour and baking powder. Alternate between adding this and milk to the mixture.
- Leaving a few rhubarb pieces to add to the muffins before baking, fold the rhubarb pieces into the batter.
- Distribute the batter evenly between the 18 muffin liners using two large spoons.
- Bake for about 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the muffins cool, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice.
- Brush onto the muffins and done!
- Guten Appetit!