Frozen Strawberry Cheesecake w/ Sunflower Seed Crust
This Is A Sponsored Post That Contains Affiliate Links
I hope everyone's summer is off to a great start! In good old prego fashion, and with temperatures rapidly rising in Kansas City, I have been craving lots of ice cream and sorbets lately. When you figure all that alcohol I cut out of my diet, then I shouldn't be so worried about compensating for it with ice cream, right? Well.. there are definitely healthier variations of the creamy, frozen dessert, that don't contain as much sugar and fat that I will be trying this summer. Last summer I was busy using our ice cream maker attachment quite frequently to make homemade sorbets, frozen yoghurts AND frosé (duh!), but had never thought about making a cake that would satisfy similar cravings.
High Protein & Gluten Free Cheesecake
Until I found a recipe for a frozen cheesecake in this vegetarian cookbook that my cousin Anna gave me a few years ago! I couldn't believe how delicious and satisfying this cheesecake really is, yet it's gluten free, high protein (due to the quark - or greek yoghurt as a substitution) and low in added sugars. When I am craving ice cream, I am really just craving a frozen flavor bomb, and the texture of this frozen cheesecake is still melt-in-your-mouth creamy and I am in LOVE with the sunflower seed crust (it reminds me of the sunbutter protein balls available at a local juicery and health-food restaurant called t.Loft). Another perk: There is no baking required, so you and your home can stay nice and cool!
And a Boozy Milkshake Companion!
Nobody said you couldn't have your cake AND a boozy milkshake too! Now how about a milkshake that blends together ice cream with a special kind of milk, aka Mozart White Chocolate liqueur? No, this one's not for the kids. 😉 Fill out this short contact form to discover where Mozart is available in your area.
For one milkshake, blend below ingredients together until smooth. Add more or less Mozart white chocolate liqueur depending on desired texture.
- 2 scoops vanilla gelato OR vanilla frozen yoghurt
- 4 oz Mozart white chocolate liqueur
- fruit & straw for garnish
Next Up: Trier-style Chicken Wings (Trier is my hometown in Germany!)
I hope you will try out this guilt-free cheesecake recipe and if you do, please leave a note below with how you liked it. I would also appreciate any kinds of suggestions you would like to make! And while you're at it, please subscribe to receive weekly emails with new recipes! Coming up next is a recipe close to my heart for Trier-style dry rub chicken wings - one of my absolute favorites (and I still prefer them over the saucy kind over here!).
Frozen Strawberry Cheesecake Ingredients (for 10 to 12 servings):
Sunflower Seed Crust:
- 2.5 c sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 12 medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
Strawberry Cheesecake Filling:
- 2 c fresh strawberries
- juice of ½ lemon
- ½ c honey or agave syrup
- 2 c quark (or Greek yoghurt)
- 1 c strawberries
- edible flowers (I usually find mine at Sprouts, but Whole Foods sometimes has them as well)
- Toast the sunflower seeds in a frying pan on low heat. Let cool for a few minutes before blending them in a food processor (or blender) with the hemp seeds. Pulse for about 20 seconds until chopped, but not powdered.
- Add in the dates, coconut oil and salt and process until a sticky mixture develops (if you don't have a food processor, use your hands to knead in the remaining ingredients.
- Distribute the mixture on the bottom of an 8-inch springform and using your fingers, press it down to form a crust. Chill in the fridge while you prepare the filling.
- Purée the strawberries, lemon juice and honey in a blender or food processor and pour into a large bowl. Using a whisk, mix in the quark. Pour over the crust and let set up in the freezer for about 2 hours. You can also store it for longer in the freezer.
- 20 minutes before serving, remove from the freezer to thaw. Garnish the cake with some more fresh strawberries and edible flowers. Serve immediately.
Some Other German Strawberry Recipes You Need To Try!
- Spaghetti Ice Cream - You got to see this to believe it!
- Erdbeerboden - A German fruit tart with homemade pudding and lots of strawberries
- Strawberry Baked Donuts - So much flavor!
Frozen Strawberry Cheesecake Essentials
I received compensation from Niche Import Co. in exchange for writing this post. Although this post is sponsored, all opinions, thoughts and recipes are my own. This post contains affiliate links, which means that I may be compensated if you click certain links.