Bavarian Potato Salad w/ Apples, Bacon & Chives
This Post May Contain Affiliate Links
Oktoberfest has officially begun in Munich, and the Wiesn and tents are filled with party-happy people donning their Dirndls and Lederhosen! I have yet to experience the fun and hope to make it to the original Oktoberfest soon. We’re hitting a few Oktoberfest parties in Kansas City over the coming weeks, but there is nothing that compares to the real deal in Munich!
My favorite Oktoberfest in Kansas City (besides the one in our backyard) is KC Bier Co.’s Oktoberfest that will take place next weekend. They already have a great setup all year round with their authentic Biergarten furniture, and because the owners are German, the beer AND food are great! Make sure to stop by! I sometimes feel a little alone, usually being the only person to attend in a real Dirndl (not the cheap beer girl costumes you can find at Halloween stores!), so it would help if you showed up dressed up as well! 🙂
In the next couple of weeks I will be featuring a few different Bavarian recipes in honor of Oktoberfest. Today I am focusing on a simple classic: Bavarian potato salad! Unlike the mayonnaise-heavy alternative, this salad is lighter thanks to the fresh apples and apple cider vinaigrette mixed with chicken broth, but yet it’s hearty due to the bacon (!) and onions. And who doesn’t love bacon??
Find some of my other German recipes with bacon here:
Enjoy this Bavarian potato salad with grilled Bratwurst (Why not try a homemade brat? Find the recipe and method by clicking here!) and a large, cold Hefeweizen! Please let me know in the comments below how you succeeded and if you’ve gotten to visit Oktoberfest in Munich before (time to make me envious!), and how you celebrate Oktoberfest where you are.
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.
An email was just sent to confirm your subscription. Please check your email and click confirm to activate your subscription.
Ingredients for about 6 servings:
- 2 lbs (1 kg) golden potatoes, boiled with skin on, cooled completely, then peeled and sliced
- 20 small cornichon pickles, sliced (about half a jar of 365 by Whole Foods – my favorite!)
- 1 medium sized yellow onion, medium diced
- 2 medium sized apples, peeled and medium diced (I used Gala)
- 1 c (1/4 liter) chicken broth
- 6 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp thinly sliced chives (plus more for garnish)
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, diced and fried crispy (discard of keep grease for future cooking projects)
Method (super simple!):
- In a medium sized pot, combine broth, vinegar, oil, mustard, sugar, salt, pepper and chives and bring to a boil.
- Combine all other ingredients in a large bowl and pour warm dressing over them. Carefully stir and let steep for 30 minutes or longer before serving. Guten Appetit!
AMAZON ASSOCIATES DISCLOSURE
Dirndl kitchen, with Sophie Sadler, is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.