Growing up in the German Mosel valley nearby Luxembourg, Elsässer Flammkuchen is a true specialty there that is available during any season. The region of Elsass (or Alsace in French) is an area in France on the Rhine river, bordering Germany and Switzerland. This is where Flammkuchen was born and shared with neighboring German regions such as the Pfalz (part of the German state Rheinland-Pfalz where I grew up) and Baden (part of the German state Baden-Württemberg).
Flammkuchen directly translated from German means “flamed pie” and used to be made as a way to test a wood-buring oven for the correct temperature for bread-baking.
I love the simplicity and deliciousness of Flammkuchen, and while it is a hearty meal, it is very light at the same time thanks to the thin cracker-style crust that only uses 2 ingredients
…! A whole Flammkuchen is easily devoured by a single person (even I am able to finish a whole one when I want to!). I remember visiting beer gardens with my mom and sister in the fall, ordering Flammkuchen and Viez-Sprudel (a mixed drink of apple wine and sparkling water).
2 Tbsp Oil (I used EVOO)
1/2 cup water
200g sour cream
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
200g onion (cut into thin rings)
100g bacon (cut into thin strips)
- Preheat oven to highest temperature (usually 500 degrees F)
- For the dough: Mix together the flour and water and a sprinkling of salt. If it’s still sticky, add some more flour until you are able to work it with your hands
- Mix together sour cream, heavy whipping cream and add some salt and pepper to taste
- Roll out the dough thinly, spread sour cream mixture on it, sprinkle with a little bit of gruyère (optional), and add all of the toppings
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the bacon starts becoming crispy and the crust starts becoming golden
- Guten Appetit!
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.
An email was just sent to confirm your subscription. Please check your email and click confirm to activate your subscription.